Cacao is usually made into a drink or bliss balls. Bliss balls provide a much smaller dose of cacao, and are perfect to make a batch and freeze for when you’re on-the-go. If you are seeking a full strength experience, choose the cacao drink. Ideally make it in a blender, or with a stick blender. To be enjoyed on an empty stomach (for strongest effects) or with a meal (for a longer lasting and gentler effect).
To get you started, here’s the basic recipe that Yoshi uses:
Makes ONE portion
- 20 to 50g (2-5 level tbsp) Keith’s Cacao, finely chopped
- ¾ mug boiling water
- ¼ mug cold water or plant-based milk
- Optional: dates / maple syrup / coconut sugar (if you like a little sweetness)
- Optional: Your choice of spices
- cardamom pod —-> (Yoshi’s yummy recommendation)
- chilli (used to help the cacao absorb into the bloodstream more quickly)
No blender? No problem! Finely grate the cacao into a pan, add a little warm water and mix to a smooth paste, then add the remaining ingredients and stir with a whisk or a wooden spoon… The drink is definitely more smooth and frothy when blended or whisked.